What happens when you look into the mirror and suddenly you start noticing those fine lines and wrinkles your instant thought is,” Oh dear, I need a magic wand to vanish those fine lines and wrinkles!”.
Well, now it’s the time to enter the world of Collagen!!
What is Collagen?
Collagen is a type of structural protein made of amino acids- proline, glycine, and hydroxyproline. It is naturally present and found abundantly in the connective tissue of the human body giving structure to skin, hair, nails, bones, cartilage, and the GI system.
What does collagen do?
Collagen has several significant roles to play in the human body.
1. Skin – 75% of skin structure is provided by Collagen. Collagen preserves skin elasticity and slows down the process of sagging and wrinkling of the skin. It literally, helps in keeping the skin intact, smooth, and youthful.
No wonder, Collagen is a beauty-enhancing protein!!
2. Hair - Collagen is rich in the amino acid proline, which is required for healthy hair and growth. It also prevents hair from thinning.
3. Nails- Collagen makes nails strong and prevents them from breaking and getting brittle.
4. Bones- Collagen strengthens the bones and joints by maintaining the integrity of cartilage. It can give relief from osteoarthritic conditions and joint pains.
5. GI system- Collagen has been found to improve gut health in research studies, especially for patients suffering from inflammatory bowel disease, as collagen is a part of connective tissue that makes up our colon and GI tract.
Let’s talk about some interesting Fun facts about Collagen
1. The word collagen was derived from the Greek word Kolla meaning glue.
2. Women lose collagen faster than men at the rate of 1.5% every year.
3. Type 1 collagen fibrils are stronger than steel! This type 1 collagen accounts for 90% of the skin, hair, and bones of connective tissue.
4. It plays an important role in the replacement of dead skin.
When do we need Collagen?
Normally the collagen starts declining after the age of 30 years. Although the effects are visible after a few years, the collagen decline can happen sooner before the stated age due to poor diet, environmental exposures like pollution, UV rays and mental stress. The need for collagen supplements can be decided on an individual basis considering the above factors.
However, remember the saying-
Act before it’s too late!!
What are the different types of collagens?
Until now, 28 types of collagens have been discovered out of which Type 1 collagen accounts 90% in the human body.
The most common 5 types of collagens are
Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 and Type 5
Type 1 is the most important and abundant collagen found in hair, skin, nails, organs, bones, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels and eyes.
Type 1 collagen fibers are found in both the upper and lower epidermal layers of the skin and thus play an important role in maintaining the structure, firmness, and radiance of the skin.
How to increase the collagen in the body?
One can increase collagen by taking supplements or eating animal foods and bone broth. However, absorption from food may not be as efficient as from supplements.
Which form of collagen supplement is most effective?
Hydrolyzed Collagen (also known as collagen peptides), is the collagen that is broken down into more easily dissolvable amino acids and thereby making it easy for the body to digest and absorb. Therefore, Type 1 Hydrolysed collagen supplement is the most preferred option to experience the desired collagen results.
The source of collagen supplement is equally important for its effectiveness.
Both Marine(fish) collagen and Bovine collagen contain Type 1 Collagen, however, Marine collagen peptides are much smaller making them easier to digest and absorb.
One research study showed that participants taking Marine collagen combined with antioxidants for two months showed marked improvements in skin elasticity and moisturized skin.
What else do you need with the Collagen supplements?
A combination of certain nutrients like Vitamin C and components like Hyaluronic acid along with the type of collagen supplement is important in the effectiveness of the role of collagen in the human body.
Vitamin C is required by the body to manufacture collagen. It helps in keeping the collagen fibers intact and thereby providing the right structure and helping the skin to rejuvenate.
Collagen is a protein required to hold our structures and glands whilst hyaluronic acid works alongside collagen to hydrate and moist the skin & provide flexibility to joints. Therefore, these natural compounds are important and should be taken together.
The perfect blend, Type 1 Hydrolysed Collagen along with hydrating Hyaluronic acid, Vitamin C and E and other nutrients like Biotin, Vitamin B2, Iodine, Zinc and Copper makes an excellent combination for enhancing smooth and youthful skin, thick and lustrous hair, strong and healthy nails and joints, promotes normal DNA synthesis and the protection from oxidative stress.
Backed by a strong research study, Prowise Healthcare has scientifically formulated Marine (Fish) Collagen complex capsules enriched with Hyaluronic acid, Biotin, Vitamin C and E, Iodine, Zinc, Copper, and Vitamin B2. With an assurance of quality and purity, Prowise Health care Marine Collagen Hyaluronic Acid Complex Capsules is an absolute winner in the daily treatment of enhancing your beauty and well-being!